Saturday 6 September 2014

Hi, my name is Rasha Hamza and I was born on the 10th of October, 1998. My ancestors originate from a small beautiful village situated between Palakkad and Thrissur, Kerala, India. I, on the other hand, was born on the Island of Pearls, Manama, Bahrain. Currently, I live in the UAE.

Since I was a child, I've always wanted to be a writer. I loved reading ever since, well, since I could read. By the time I was 4, I already learnt the alphabet and before I knew it I was in grade 4, reading the Inkheart Trilogy. Now, I'm balancing my love for both reading and writing, and the arts. 

I now know 2 different languages fluently, English and my native tongue; Malayalam. I also study French and Arabic. However, I think language can be anything. Anyway you communicate with other beings. Personally, art is another language that I love expressing myself in. You can communicate messages with colors, lines, space and etc. 

Honestly, I'm not that talkative but I can still communicate with my body language. For e.g, a wave or a wink or the position of your body. I find it amazing that humans can create and develop languages. We've always gathered into civilizations and created order and society. We've created our own cultures and languages. We have even created computer codes, a whole different language to solve a complex problem. 

To me, culture is basically a way of life. This includes traditions, beliefs, social behavior and etc. Language is a product of culture. I'm born Indian but I have in fact never lived there. I'm the only one of my siblings who knows our home tongue thus this creates language barriers when we visit. It's not easy to communicate ideas with our family but they compromise with body language and their own version of sign language (like in charades!). Living here and studying here, I've adopted many western ways into my own culture. Studying in the IB, allows me to have a global and open-minded perspective, especially on different cultures. 



1 comment:

  1. Interesting post! I really liked what you said about art being a language, and I agree that it is amazing that humans have not only created languages (these ridiculously complex sound systems), but also that they have gained such mastery over them. :) I also found what you said about "language is a product of culture" thought-provoking. Having deliberated over this, I still can't decide if I agree or if it is the other way round? Surely our languages affected our cultures in a significant way... especially the words people frequent etc... It seems like both sides are equally true! Great point :)

    ReplyDelete